WiccanWay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WiccanWay

A place for Wiccans and Pagans to come together.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September Birthstone... the Sapphire...

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1September Birthstone... the Sapphire... Empty September Birthstone... the Sapphire... Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:27 am

Jerry Hubbard

Jerry Hubbard
Admin

The blue of sky and sea,
Philosophers would say,
Are merely stones you see,
Holding the Earth at bay.
Jerry Hubbard

Philosophers from before the time of major sea exploration looked into the sky with wonder. The blue had substance, and therefore must be solid somewhere, out there. Because of this, many thought the “blue” was a sapphire holding the Earth in a loving caress. Some thought not a caress, but a trap; a trap from which only death was an escape.
Iolite has also been called the birthstone for September, and indeed, iolite has even been dubbed the “sea sapphire,” and as far back as the Vikings, Leif Erikson was fabled as to have used one to determine his position at sea with his “water sapphire.” Today, both stones, though the sapphire has formally been acknowledged as the birthstone, are widely known for their abilities with regard to guidance and finding one’s bearings.
Ranging in nearly all colors (except red… red sapphires are otherwise known as rubies) the most popular stones come in all varieties of blue. Rare varieties of sapphires known as star sapphires occur when tiny inclusions are found within a stone. These inclusions can sometimes cause asterism. Asterism is an optical property where light is reflected in multiple directed rays from within the stone. Heating up stones with too many of these inclusions can reduce them, as well as pronounce the “blue” of the sapphire color.
Sapphires are now found primarily in Sri Lanka and Madagascar. A few mines are found in North America, but they are few, and far between. The sapphire began being artificially created in 1902 according to sources, and often only a gemologist can distinguish the difference.
In addition to use at sea, many have used and continue to use this stone in spiritual or religious jewelry. I believe this is testament to the influence of the King James Bible in our Society. Several of the books tell stories of sapphires or sapphire adorned items being used as decorative and even Spiritual Artifacts. It was said soon after that a poisonous snake put into the same container with a sapphire would soon shrivel and die. Stories of sapphires in the shape of other animals being used to heal, or even to acknowledge spiritual service within religious or spiritual organizations have followed. This is also no surprise as sapphires are said to influence their wearers with truth, sincerity, and constancy; in addition to the metaphysical influences of insight and interpretation. Who wouldn’t want their spiritual leaders to have these traits?
Sapphires are now found throughout the world, and created in labs on nearly every continent. So whether you are a spiritual leader in your community, a Viking a long way from home, or your birthday just happens to fall in September… we at Modern Mythos hope you’ll let our craft… inspire yours…

http://www.etsy.com/shop/themodernmythos

2September Birthstone... the Sapphire... Empty best Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Gaia-sunstone

Gaia-sunstone
Admin

Best birthstone ever!! Or maybe I am biased because it's mine? Smile

https://www.facebook.com/GaiaSunstone

3September Birthstone... the Sapphire... Empty Best Birthstones... Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 am

Jerry Hubbard

Jerry Hubbard
Admin

A lot of times we are biased and believe each of our own to be the best... Razz but that's okay...

I'll be posting the other gemstones I haven't done yet here over the next couple of weeks. So keep an eye out for yours if you haven't seen it yet. I'm also planning to add a section of different types of Fae. I've envisioned this site being a resource greater than what it is now, and if anyone else has thoughts, please feel free to share them.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/themodernmythos

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum