WiccanWay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WiccanWay

A place for Wiccans and Pagans to come together.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Basics Of Voodoo

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Basics Of Voodoo Empty The Basics Of Voodoo Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:00 pm

conjurewoman91

conjurewoman91

Voodoo, pronounced vaudou, also called vodun, vodoun, vodou.

This is a syncretic faith that is over 6.000 years old, with over 60 million practitioners worldwide.
there is many various practices of this faith, we have the lousiana vodou, the west african vodou, and the haitian vodou.

it orininated in africa, and was spread to other countries up through the years, the way it was spread we will not discuss unless needed, because it is not a story i would like to tell ,in respect to the people who had to suffer for it.

depending on where it is, there is often a god and goddess, but as har as i have learned they dont all worship the same god and/or goddess.

they believe that the deity or deities cannot be reached, so there are the lwa, or loa.
these are basically like the catholic saints, back in the day catholism was forced upon them, so they combined the two.

the way i was taught, rada vodou is the good side of voodoo, then there is petro, which is good and bad, then there is secta rouge, which is the negative, and then there is zobop, and that is the extremely negative one, but rada and petro is the ones you hear most about.

i myself only stick to the good side of vodou, because the dark side of it is of the darkest you will be able to find within magic.

in vodou there is a priest and priestess, in haitian tradition the priestess is called mambo, and the priest is called hougan, i have looked this up and also talked to a guy from nigeria, who said hougan was nothing he had ever heard about because there it was the name for a musical instrument.

you have the good priests and priestesses, who wear the color white, then you have the bad ones, the bokors, who wear black and red, and those are the ones you would want to stay away from.
the guy i talked to was terrified of the ones wearing red and black and said everyone was scared of them.

in vodou they are famous for their ceremonies and rituals, which include possession of the lwas, it depends on what lwa comes to the ceremony, it depends on the purpose of the ceremony and the task the lwas have.

in a wedding, the ones who usually come is gran zombi, which is the creator of the universe, then there is erzulie, the lwa of love, (be careful when it comes to the lwa, even the lwa of love can be unpredictable and scary in certain situations that call upon another side of them) and there is the lwa gede, which is the lwa of regeneration.

their ceremonies are also famous because of the animal sacrifice, which has been seen as very controcersial over the years, but those sacrifices are only used when there is a ceremony that includes a lot of people, like a entire village, so it is not needed if you practice it by yourself.

many say you need a priest and/or priestess to have magic done for certain things, but do not take this seriously, as long as you know what you are doing and do it respectfully then you wont need any of them.

vodou is not like it is in movies, like all kinds of magic.
the movie the serpent and the rainbow is based on a book about a zombie making powder which is originated in haiti, it took a 1000 years to create, its said to go through the skin, killing the person, they are paralyzed and it takes 12 hours before they can move again, by that time which their soul is captured by the bokor who cursed you. this is a urban legend, in reality it turned out the people cursed were drugged into believing so.

in louisiana there is also something called hoodoo, which is a combo of vodou and native american magic. its based on using roots, here the priests and priestesses are called mama and papa.

there are several sub generes to vodou, ones like santeria (also known as lucumi)santeria is originated in yoruba, they have orisha instead of lwa, but many are the same ones.

then there is candomble, here we have orisha too. this is one based on the anima (soul) of nature.

but all of these are very similar.

2The Basics Of Voodoo Empty Re: The Basics Of Voodoo Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 pm

chrononaut

chrononaut

thanks for posting this! its a very informative post on the basics Smile i will sticky this to the top of this section so that people will always be able to find it as this section fills up

3The Basics Of Voodoo Empty cant wait to hear more Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Gaia-sunstone

Gaia-sunstone
Admin

do you know when your next bost for your sections is going to be? I cant wait to read more

https://www.facebook.com/GaiaSunstone

4The Basics Of Voodoo Empty Re: The Basics Of Voodoo Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:28 pm

conjurewoman91

conjurewoman91

well the basics are mostly what i wrote, i think i will do a section on the rituals next or something like that, was mostly waiting to see if anyone had any questions, as to the lwa or the spells and practice:-)

forgot to write that many experience they are connected to a lwa or two of them.
im still not sure if i am connected to any since i practice a mix of everything:-)

5The Basics Of Voodoo Empty Re: The Basics Of Voodoo Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 am

Earthworm

Thanks for posting the basics... I must say I was a bit ignorant. Please post more!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum